Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Bit Like Rock Music


"Games are a bit like rock music, in that no matter where you take them, there needs to be at least a grain of stupidity there, a thread leading back home. I think the same is true of anything done for pleasure."
Thus spake S. John Ross in his Epilogue to the True Scientific Edition of Encounter Critical, which arrived safely in my mailbox this morning. I'm very happy to have been turned on to this game by guys whose opinions I respect, like Jeff Rients. EC is a thing of beauty and I hope to have the chance to inflict it on my gaming group sometime soon. If I do, you can be sure I'll make a post about it -- oh yes indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Random stupid thought: the first time I read this post I thought it said "Germans are a bit like rock music, in that no matter where you take them, there needs to be at least a grain of stupidity there, a thread leading back home."

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the interesting things about the "stupidity" comment is that Jeff and I made almost exactly the same observation, independent of one another. He posted a similar comment on his blog at around the same time his (prototype) Phasic Cyaborg CD was finding its way to him in the mails.

    It would be eerie, except we were both simply speaking the holy truth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be eerie, except we were both simply speaking the holy truth ;)

    Absolutely! I quoted that particular section, because I think it speaks powerfully to a lot about the old school that many people too young to have experienced it simply don't understand. They look at it all, declare it stupid, and can't fathom why anyone would get all dewy-eyed about that.

    ReplyDelete