Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Hate Technology

I'm still finding it impossible to convince Google Analytics that I have a tracking code embedded into this blog. I have tried pretty much everything and nothing works. And given that I use Blogger to compose Grognardia, my ability to monkey around with its inner working is pretty limited -- that is, assuming I even understood how to do so, which I don't.

I have less than 1000 regular readers and I don't sell anything through this blog, so it's not vital that I have the ability to track visitors and so forth. Still, I found it interesting to see where all my visitors were coming from. I discovered a number of great new blogs by checking my Analytics stats. I'd like to continue to be able to do that, but technology seems to be conspiring against me.

And people wonder why I prefer a game made in the 1970s ...

7 comments:

  1. Maybe you should give a try something called third-party counters? I think there is a topic i Blogger Help menu.

    And people wonder why I prefer a game made in the 1970s ...

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I just installed Site Meter and it worked immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently http://rpgbloggers.com/ has been my source of new RPG blog discovery.

    As for people linking to my site, I am subscribed to a search for my name at bloglines (my feed reader).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my mistake was assuming that, because most of Google's various products work well together without any need for understanding how they interact, that all of them would do so. Obviously, that's not an indictment of Google Analytics; it's just not very useful to me, since I'm a technological illiterate. Site Meter was extremely simple to install on the blog and it's already generating a report for me, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use feedburner and it works pretty well. It has full compatability with blogger too, whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I noted above, I've hooked up Site Meter and it's working just fine. It's a bit more limited than Google Analytics was, but it has the virtue of actually working. I might check out some other options too, since I love poring over the details of the site's hits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the NoScript extension and have never unblocked Google Analytics. I've opened too many web pages and seen them bog down while seeing that my browser was waiting on google-analytics.com.

    I wonder how many people do similar things.

    ReplyDelete