Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Saints Alive

One of the many terrific bits included in Jeff Rients's Miscellaneum of Cinder is "A Dozen Saints," a listing of twelve saints, their areas of patronage, and oaths associated with them. What I really appreciate is that all of the saints are anagrams, puns, or hidden references to individuals associated with the hobby.

If my Dwimmermount campaign had a place for them, I'd certainly be swiping most of these saints. Still, I couldn't help but try my hand at coming up with a saint of my own, especially since Jeff already included Saints Robard (patron of pugilists, sailors, and taverns) and Theobald (patron of seekers after knowledge and warriors dedicated to the defeat of the Toad Gods and other demons).

ST. CLERC OF AUBURN -- Sometimes called "The Bard." Patron of magicians, devoted children, and esthetes. ("By the many magicks of Clerc!" or "By Clerc's consecrated constancy!")

Feel free to come up with some anagrammatic saints of your own.

6 comments:

  1. OK, I know this kind of pun is old school and all, but I'm seeing waaaaay too many different versions of the world "Gygax" as names for dungeons and gods in D&D games lately.

    As a product of the old, I stick some dumb pun in the games now and again. But I try to be serious with names and make them all pulp fantasy-like. I always have a couple of baby name books in my game bag.

    Still, often my "serious" names get laughed at heartily. Nothing like unintentional humor to stop a game in it's tracks (for the DM).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the Clerc of Auburn an allusion to Clark Ashton Smith, sometimes called the Bard of Auburn?

    A good reference to slip in if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pay no heed to the ranting heresiarch Fengallus and his pallid visions, nor to Jororeuelin, whom some still claim is the progenitor of all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only overused for those of us poring over the blogs and published stuff. For the ignorant masses (i.e. the players) it can be fun. My own megadungeon had a party lost in it prior to the campaign starting that included such stalwarts as Gaxyg, Holsem, Mezenert, and Arnsen...I wonder if the players will even notice when they get to that point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the Clerc of Auburn an allusion to Clark Ashton Smith, sometimes called the Bard of Auburn?

    Absolutely, just as Jeff's Saints Robard and Theobald are allusions to REH and HPL, respectively.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pay no heed to the ranting heresiarch Fengallus and his pallid visions, nor to Jororeuelin, whom some still claim is the progenitor of all.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete