Friday, January 8, 2010

Space: 1970

Christopher Mills of Atomic Pulp & Other Meltdowns recently launched a new blog, entitled Space: 1970, which, in his words,
is dedicated to the science fiction films and television series of the 1970s - and very early 80s - including such nostalgic favorites as Star Wars, Space: 1999, UFO, Space Academy, the original Battlestar Galactica, Jason of Star Command, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Logan's Run and many others.

But be warned: I still love these productions with all the enthusiasm I held for them as a kid, and they will be treated here with affection and respect. If you're looking for someone to snarkily denigrate "old" movies, you've come to the wrong site.

So journey with us back to the days when special effects were created by skillful hands and spaceships were detailed models, when robots were obligatory comedy relief, when square-jawed heroes and cloaked villains battled among the stars -- and the future was fun!
Seeing as most of my formative memories are from this era, I naturally found the blog a blast. I certainly hope Mr Mills keeps updating it and bringing more love to the science fiction of the era in which this hobby was born.

9 comments:

  1. "when robots were obligatory comedy relief, when square-jawed heroes and cloaked villains battled among the stars"
    ...has he, perhaps, not been watching that loving homage to Buster Crabbe, Star Wars the Clone Wars Animated Series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Star Trek not included? Surely though it was a 60's series its influence was felt long after and its first animated incarnation and first film were of the 70's era.

    I suppose I will have to visit this place myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the things I have always maintained...that when I was a kid, even the Future was cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Space1970 is one of my new favorite blogs--lots of ideas to mine there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Chris and I go way back. Good to see my online worlds colliding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Jason of Star Command. Now THAT's a "blast from the past."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Space: 1970, I only found it myself a few days ago. So many TV/Movie memories.
    I also like John Kenneth Muirs Blog, looks like he's been at it for quite a while.

    Check it out: http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Space Academy! I completely forgot about that one... Thanks, James, for introducing me to a new time-waster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the plug and the kind words! I'm gonna keep the memories coming... at least until my creeping senility takes over!

    ReplyDelete