Monday, November 29, 2010

Games Workshop History

Over at Yog-Sothoth.com, you can listen to a seminar at last June's UK Games Expo, where Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone talk about the early days of Games Workshop. There are a lot of truly fascinating tidbits in it, including the origin of the name "Games Workshop" and details about GW's relationship with important figures of the early hobby, such as Gary Gygax and Brian Blume. If you've got an hour to spare, give it a listen and hear a perspective on the history of the hobby that's not often heard on this side of the Atlantic.

3 comments:

  1. That was a very interesting article, I'd managed to puzzle some of it out from old White Dwarf magazines, but I definitly came to know them through their Warhammer 40k property.. sometime around the start of the 3rd edition swap over. When you could get 10 plastic marines for 14.99$..

    Due to their constant price increases and shady business practices when it came to how they treated their rogue trader dealers, My opinions of them as a company these days are vastly different from even 10 years ago.

    Beyond that, they are more or less vacant from any shelf space in my general area, I believe that the closet GW store to me now is, the Memphis Battle Bunker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall enjoying this interview with Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone a while back. I imagine it covers a lot of the same ground, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting that up. Unfortunately, I was running games all day for both days of the Expo and missed the seminar. I also missed Steve Jackson at Dragonmeet last weekend - again because I was running games.

    It's a hard life ...

    ReplyDelete