Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Latest Word on Petty Gods

The text to Petty Gods is more or less done and has been for a while. The cover is likewise done. What remains, besides layout, is artwork or, more precisely, artwork that I assigned to a number of people who offered to help but who have not yet followed through. Now, this is a volunteer project, so I haven't been a taskmaster about deadlines and the like. No one, including myself, is going to make any money from this endeavor, so I've been loath to crack the whip thus far. However, waiting on artwork people promised me more than three months ago is holding up the release of Petty Gods and I'm only willing to go so far to accommodate the schedules of others.

So, here's the deal: if you're someone who offered to do any kind of artwork, illustration, or graphic for Petty Gods, you've got one week -- till April 19, 2011 -- to give me an update on the status of your contribution. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll re-assign the work to one of the many, many artists who've not only offered to help and came through for me but has asked to do more. In deference to others, I've kept too many of these kind offers on hold, but I can't do that any longer, because it's not fair to the artists who've gone above and beyond. Plus, I want to get this book out to everyone before summer.

Next Tuesday, I'll post an update on this project and, depending on what sort of response I get on outstanding artwork, begin assigning illustrations for any entries that still don't have them. With luck, this will ensure the book can go into layout next month sometime, with an idea toward its seeing the light of day not long thereafter.

15 comments:

  1. Just to be certain, how does one know that their contribution has been received? I sent my illustration (Kwunndle) back at the beginning of February and didn't get a reply acknowledging it.

    I didn't want to pester as I knew you had tons of items to deal with, but there you go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Kwuundle and he looks great. I thought I'd replied to you confirming this, so my apologies on that.

    If anyone else is in doubt about a piece of artwork you sent to me, drop a line and I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know! Shame collaborative projects like this get so rocky around deadline time, I've been on both ends of this problem a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going through Print on Demand with this? Or using Rogue Games or another publisher?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob,

    My plan was to go with a free PDF and a POD option at cost for those who want a physical copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James:

    I had sent in a Petty God submission (the stats & description, not the artwork) shortly before the deadline and never heard back from you. Does that mean mine won't make it in? He was Nanefesterad, Petty God of False Friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping P would be for Petty Gods, so this update being sooner is even better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I for one am looking forward to a print copy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you James. You have officially fallen through the cracks on my end and I consider this a fire lit under my rump.

    -SJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm late to this party, but I would be amenable to illustrating more pieces in Petty Gods, given the opportunity. Sorry if this steps on any toes, but art is something I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there any news on this project? I am eager to see the finish product.

    TFotH

    ReplyDelete