Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Holmes Annoyance

My introduction to Dungeons & Dragons (and to the hobby itself) was through a copy of the Basic Set edited by Dr. J. Eric Holmes. The edition I owned didn't included dice -- it had chits and a coupon for dice -- and module B1, In Search of the Unknown. According to the Acaeum, that means I owned either the fifth or sixth editions of the set.

My original copy of the game was long ago destroyed. The box was crushed, I took the rulebook apart, and module B1 fell to pieces from so much use. When I was in high school, my father stumbled across a dusty copy of the game in a hobby store and picked it up for me. I was quite pleased, because I'd wanted to replace it, but, in those pre-eBay days, replacing old games wasn't easy to do. Unfortunately, the copy my father found was a later printing and included B2, The Keep on the Borderlands as its intro module. In any event, sometime over the last two decades, I misplaced that copy.

Since then, I've been trying to find a good replacement copy for my Holmes boxed set. This is much harder than I had expected. Most of the copies I come across have B2 rather than B1. Even worse, most of them are in terrible condition. I don't expect a mint copy by any means -- nor would I likely shell out the money needed to purchase one -- but I would like a copy that doesn't smell of mildew or have Coke stains all over its contents.

So, with my birthday coming up this coming weekend, I thought I'd ask if my readers could help me locate a decent copy as a present to myself. I can't justify paying exorbitant prices for something that is largely a nostalgic indulgence. However, I would like a decent reader's copy that includes module B1. Looking online, they seem to be scarce, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong places. Any pointers would thus be greatly appreciated.

18 comments:

  1. Amazon.com has a "good" copy for $29.95 (US):
    Comes in original box in fair condition with randomizer chits, D&D game book, and Introductory Modules B1 and B2. All 3 books are in good condition with all pages intact and no stray marks to be found anywhere. Buy with confidence--I always ship same day. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the link:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005OMXM90/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1319549644&sr=8-1&condition=used

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently purchased a 4th or 5th printing with B1 for $30 on eBay in great shape. Box is clean with all corners intact, rulebook is completely clean, B1 crinkled but intact. I went after this for exactly the same reason you did: it was my first, and I wanted to re-read it and see how it compared to my memory of fourth grade. Glad I did. Point is: these are fairly common on eBay.

    Here's one in great shape, good price, but missing B1: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-D-Dungeons-Dragons-Basic-box-set-1979-2rd-print-bonus-dice-set-/370553262148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646b21044

    B1 can usually be had separately on eBay for a reasonable price.

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, just buy what you need on eBay piecemeal, rather than looking for one ideal set. The sets on eBay are often incomplete and/or pieced together from different printings anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 5th edition printing of the rulebook with the box. It is in very good shape. I don't think it had ever been played with or probably even read. B1 is not in the box. If you send me your address I will ship it to you for your birthday.
    My email is iandimitri at hotmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also saw a few of the B1's on ebay fairly cheap.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventure-Module-B1-SEARCH-UNKNOWN-VGC-D-D-Mono-Monochrome-2ND-PRT-/200666380220?_trksid=p5197.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D12%26pmod%3D190589991650%252B150660132450%252B170716930331%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3727938537200207082#ht_1606wt_1163

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I was disappointed in the large stain on the box set I sent you, but it was that way when I got it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I'm trying to not buy things anymore based on pure nostaligia value, especially game stuff. Just things I can use.

    But it is sad how our stuff from so long ago degrades. I remember the time in the mid-90's when my original LLB's basically turned into dust from overuse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I was disappointed in the large stain on the box set I sent you, but it was that way when I got it.

    Not to worry; it's a perfectly usable copy. I'm just going through a bout of nostalgia and want something a bit more like the copy I remember having as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might try just getting the two separately. I come across a copy of B1 in used bookstores once a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Echoing what other people said, why are you intent on buying the boxed set with B1 included? Why not just buy it separately, and slap it in yourself?

    (Unless it's all part of the quest, I mean. I'm a longtime collector of assorted STUFF, so I do understand the logic.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, shoot. I just gave away 2 boxed sets (one in better shape than the other) for the cost of postage. I think both had b1 in the box but neither had dice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find that I can go to Noble Knight Games for almost anything and find it, and doing business with them is always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This may have been posted already, but here is a set on eBay at a reasonable price that claims to contain B1:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-D-D-Basic-Box-Set-1979-2nd-Edition-Dungeons-and-Dragons-AD-D-/310354419173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4842909de5#ht_7516wt_955

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a box set, looks like I got chits in it, and the same coupon to get dice in the book... the book's got a bunch of underlining in pen, though. And no module of any kind came with it; it probably got removed from the box at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why not just buy it separately, and slap it in yourself?

    Why not indeed? Mostly because I hadn't really considered it till now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, shoot. I just gave away 2 boxed sets (one in better shape than the other) for the cost of postage. I think both had b1 in the box but neither had dice.

    Such is life! I'm sure I will find another copy that meets my satisfaction before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  18. James,

    If you're still looking, check out:
    http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProductsConditions.asp_Q_ProductID_E_20_A_InventoryID_E_2147812839_A_ProductLineID_E_2137419089_A_ManufacturerID_E_1_A_CategoryID_E_12_A_GenreID_E_

    ReplyDelete